The first 12 Days of DIY project was inspired by a gift I received last year from my sister. She knitted me a mini tea bag cozy so I decided to make my own crochet version of the tea cozy she made me and make 24 more to make a tea advent calendar. You can put whatever you want inside the calendar it doesn’t have to be the tea you can use whatever you want. Originally I wanted to post this pattern in November but life got in the way and I wasn’t done with it so I decided to make it one of my 12 Days of DIY projects instead.
You will need
– Yarn (you can choose whatever colors you want I used various rainbow colors but Christmas colors would look nice too)
– H/5.0 mm Crochet Hook
– Wooden buttons (or number buttons if you can find some)
– Pen or marker (only if you are using wooden buttons)
– Yarn needle
– Thicker yarn and a larger hook that works with your thick yarn.
– 25 things you want to put inside your advent calendar
– Ch 13
– Sc starting from the 2nd ch from your hook, sc 12 sts, ch 1, turn. Total = 12 sts
– Sc 12 sts, ch 1, turn. (repeat 28x times) Total = 12 sts
You should have a total of 30 rows by now
Fold your work in half and start working 13-14 sc sts on the left side, this will quickly sew the side for you without using a needle!
Insert your hook to the bottom of the right side of your cozy and sc 13-14 sts. When you reach the top of the right side you are going to work into your 12 sts again.
– Sc 12 sts, ch 1, turn. (repeat 1x times) Total = 12 sts
– Dec 1st and last sts, sc the middle, ch 1, turn. Total = 10 sts
– Sc 10 sts, ch 1, turn. Total = 10 sts
– Dec 1st and last sts, sc the middle, ch 1, turn. Total = 8
– Sc 8 sts, ch 1, turn. Total = 8 sts
– Dec 1st and last sts, sc the middle, ch 1, turn. Total = 6
– Dec 1st and last sts, sc the middle, ch 1, turn. Total = 4
– Dec 1st and last sts, sc the middle, ch 1, turn. Total = 2
– Dec the last sts.
Cut off leaving enough yarn to make a loop for the buttons.
Now make 24 more cozies!
Time for the annoying part, sewing! You are going to sew a lot so get ready! The first thing I started sewing was the buttons, which by the way I made my buttons myself by writing the numbers on with a pen because I couldn’t find any buttons with numbers on them but if you can find some go ahead and use those. Next sew all the cozies next to each other, 5 cozies per row you make a total of 5 rows.
Lastly, sew a border around your advent calendar. I used a thicker yarn and a bigger crochet hook. I used the same thick yarn to sew the rows together. You can also use this thick yarn to make a strap to hang your calendar and you are finally done!