May is mental health awareness month so I wanted to check in on all of you and see how you all are doing. How are you doing? Since the start of the pandemic, I’ve gone through these phases where I’m completely fine but then my mood shifts and goes back down and depression creeps back in. There are days when I simply don’t want to deal with anything and I’ll sleep for hours, I call these depression naps. I know it’s unhealthy for me which is why no matter what time it is, I will tell myself “get up and take care of yourself” and then I’ll start and check-in with myself. Just a few weeks ago, I was in a really depressive state but now I’m past that point (at least for now). When you’re feeling depressed, I think it’s important to feel those feelings, cry if you must, and then move on when you’re ready.
Down below I put together this checklist that you can go through next time you’re feeling down and your mind is telling you everything is worse than it actually is. I personally, do all of these things when I’m feeling depressed. Remember you’re not alone and that there are a handful of people out there who are also battling with their inner thoughts. Your feelings are valid. You are not your inner thoughts. You are loved. The world needs you. *big hugs*
– Get out of your bed and make it! Maybe even clean your sheets, when was the last time you washed your pillowcases always?
– Stretch or practice some yoga
– Drink a glass of water, or maybe tea. If you have some lemons, slice some up and put it in a large pitcher of water to make lemon water.
– Make yourself a yummy meal, preferably something healthy but honestly anything will do.
– Meditate. 5-15 minutes of meditation always helps me realign my thoughts.
– Get physical! Do a light workout or go on a walk around your neighborhood.
– Write down a list of things that you want to accomplish that day. It doesn’t have to be a to-do list. It can be a list of songs you’re loving, a list of recipes you want to try, etc. Heck, you can write everything I mention in this post if you like.
– Listen to music or play an instrument
– Watch something that makes you smile. Like your favorite film, series, or Youtube channel.
– If you have a pet, give them some attention and organize their belongings, give them a bath, feed them, play with them, etc. I always feel better when I spend time with Lucy.
– Meal plan. If you live with others, make them a meal or if you live alone, plan out your meals for the next few days. This also prevents you from eating unhealthy throughout the week.
– Game. Animal Crossing is my favorite way to unwind.
– Ignore your phone. You’ll only end up doom-scrolling anyways.
– Take a relaxing bath or shower. Sprinkling some essential oil as the bottle of your shower and turn up the water to feel like you’re in a sauna!
– Go on a walk, if you have a dog, take it with you.
– Talk to someone. Call up a friend or family member.
– Journal. If you’re stressed or angry, write out all your worries and rip or even burn the piece of paper. If you’re feeling sad, write yourself a love note or a list of affirmations.
– Light a candle. You would be surprised how much smell can affect your mood.
– Read a book. Nothing makes me more sleepy before bed than reading a few chapters from a book.
How do you deal with your mental health when you’re struggling?