Welcome to day 2 of 12 Days of DIY! Today I am showing you how you can crochet your very own sock and mitten garland. I have a couple garland patterns up on my blog, they’re one of my favorite things to make because they’re so quick to make and you can hang them up pretty much anywhere.
– H/5.00 mm crochet hook
– G/4.25 mm crochet hook
– Red worsted yarn
– Pink worsted yarn
– White worsted yarn
– Twine or beige yarn
– Mini clothesline pins
– Yarn needle
Ch(s) – chain(es)
St(s) – stitch(es)
Slst – slip stitch
Slst – slip stitch
Sc – single crochet
Dec – decrease
Inc – increase
Blo – back loop only
Cc – color change
(x2) – repeat however many times inside
Mittens (make 2)
– Ch 7, sc 6 sts, turn. Total = 6 sts
– Ch 1, sc 6 sts (x6). Total = 6 sts
– Dec 1, sc middle, dec 1. Total = 4 sts
– Dec 2 sts. Total = 2 sts
Insert your hook to the bottom side of the mitten piece.
– Sc 3, turn.
– Ch 1, dec 1, sc turn
– Ch 1, Sc 2
– On the side of the sts you just created dec 2 sts,
Bottom (make 2)
Switch to smaller hook
– Ch 4, sc 3 sts. Total = 3 sts
– Ch 1, sc 3 blo (x3). Total = 3 sts
Sew the bottom part to the main part of the mitten, now you have a 2D mitten. Repeat the same to the other two pieces you have to create another mitten. Sew bottom mittens together around the edge and leave the bottom open. Weave in loose ends. Now you have an adorable mini mitten!
Stocking (make 2)
Using H crochet hook and white yarn
– Ch 6, sc 5 sts, turn. Total = 5 sts
– Ch 1, sc 5 sts (x4), turn. Total = 5 sts
Cc to red or pink yarn
– Ch 1, sc 5 sts (x6), turn. Total = 5 sts
– Ch 1, inc 1 st, sc 2 sts, dec last st, turn. Total = 4 sts
– Ch 1, dec, sc 1 st, inc last st, turn. Total = 4 sts
– Ch 1, sc 2 sts, dec 1 sts, turn. Total = 3 sts
– Ch 1, dec 1, sc 1 st, turn. Total = 2 sts
– Dec 1 st. Total = 1 st
Sew the two socks together by sewing around the edges. Fold the white part down and sew. Weave in loose ends.
If you want to make a striped sock change yarn every 2 rows until you reach the end. I love how the striped stocking came out but be warned there is a lot of loose strands you are going to have to weave in later.
Using twine ch 10 sts. Slst to st to form a loop. ch 25 sts, slst to the middle st of one of the mittens or socks, alternating each time. Repeat until all of your pieces are attached. When you are on your crochet piece ch 35 sts. Slst to the tenth stitch from hook and cut off. Weave in ends. Clip-on clothesline pins and you are now ready to hang up your winter garland.